Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  mwigdahl on Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 am

This thread is to get the campaign launched. I'll post an opening description, and then my character's entrance, and everyone can follow with their own characters. Assume whatever order you like -- you don't have to come in in the order you post.

After everyone is in, we'll get the plot moving!

Notes:

DM-player messages and notes will be in red.
Player out-of-character notes should be in green.
DM in-game communications (room descriptions, action results, etc.) will be in blue.
Player in-character text should be in black or
standard.

Let me know if you want to use a different scheme; I don't really care that much -- I just want a way to keep everything straight.


Last edited by mwigdahl on Thu May 20, 2010 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Jail Cell -- Hall of Elders -- Everlund

Post  mwigdahl on Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 am

They said Luruar was civilized, and the jail here in Everlund certainly seems to prove it. At least this particular cell; maybe there are others that are worse. It's aboveground -- on the ground floor of the Hall of Elders, which is nice, and there are barred windows to let in some light. The floor is stone, well-cut and joined. There are several wooden benches along the walls, seating a motley assortment of characters. There's even a privy hole in one corner, a square hole cut out of the stone about six inches on a side, which drops down into the blackness.

The prisoners, though, are another matter. Looking around, you figure this has got to be either the drunk tank or Death Row. There are a half-dozen human and elven men passed out -- or dead -- on the wooden bench farthest from the window. You can smell their various unpleasant odors from anywhere in the cell, far worse than the stench coming from the privy. At least two of the humans look like they might have some orc ancestry as well, although they're all so filthy and bruised you can't really be sure. The other benches hold an array of different (and conscious) people, with demeanors ranging from curious to sinister.

Notably, a tiefling in black robes periodically glowers at his closest neighbors while mumbling to himself, as if he wants more space. And a human woman dressed in black and brown leathers watches the other occupants of the room with a crooked smile on her face, eating bites of apple she cuts with a dagger. Normally this wouldn't be significant, but the guardsmen were thorough about confiscating weapons. You wonder what else she has concealed on her person.


Last edited by mwigdahl on Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Zenna's Not-So-Grand Entrance

Post  mwigdahl on Thu May 20, 2010 9:53 am

Suddenly, there's a commotion down the hall. The guards arrive, hurrying along another oddity for the cell. A young and attractive half-elven woman with striking red hair and an expression of outrage runs ahead of the swiftly striding guards, a very small coppery-colored dragon swirling in agitation through the air around her head, issuing high-pitched hisses as smoke curls from its nostrils.

"Hands off my ass! What the hell was that for?"

"Well, now, the Sergeant said you was being taken in for prostitution, Zenna-girl. Figured under the circumstances and all you wouldn't mind if we, uh, sampled the goods."

"Prostitution? Prostitution?"

She stops dead and thinks for a second. "That fat swine Bergovin offered me twenty-five gold pieces to sleep with him, but I told him he could kiss my ass and then got the hell out of his shop! I turned him down!"

The guard smirks. "Well, now, I beg to differ, but that sounds like an offer and acceptance to me. The... unique tastes of Cannor Bergovin are well known."

The half-elf girl doesn't seem to take that well. "But he was probably the one that turned me in!"

"'Taint my fault if Bergovin went away unsatisfied. Just means you need to work on your technique, lass. In ya go!"

And with a relatively gentle shove he propels her through the barred door his partner has just finished opening.

"Say hello to the rest of the riffraff, Zenna." The door clangs shut and is quickly locked with a twist of a bulky iron key.

Zenna and her dragonling survey the insensate drunks on the bench, the surly tiefling, the woman with the dagger (who is openly smirking at her) and the rest of the widely-varied occupants of the cell. She puts her hands on her hips, a sour expression on her pretty face.

"Hello, riffraff."

She finds an unoccupied section of wall far away from the drunks, and leans against it.

--

avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  mwigdahl on Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 am

Note: none of you will have weapons, armor, or other equipment. It's all being held by the guards. Buy as normal; you'll get it after you're released.
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I am so blue... bah da be bah da bo...

Post  Frizdag on Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 am

With the sound of heavy shuffling a taller than normal dragonborn is ushered down the hall and motioned into the cell with the rest of the riffraff. Whatever he was doing to get sent in here must have been recent since his hands were still wet with blood and there are pieces of wool sticking out like little clouds amongst his dark blue scales. He looks around and notices space on a bench next to black robed creature so he decides to stretch out there.


Last edited by Frizdag on Thu May 20, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Frizdag

Posts : 31
Join date : 2010-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Frizdag's Frosty Reception

Post  mwigdahl on Thu May 20, 2010 10:38 am

The tiefling shoots the blue dragonborn invading his personal space a venomous glare, but after taking in the creature's enormous height, obvious self-confidence, and the fact that he's literally been caught red-handed, settles for shifting as far away from him as possible and indulging in some disturbingly violent tooth-grinding.
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  Grundle on Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 am

After the cell door clanged shut the second time a low moan poured from the bench,

"Keep it down....my head"

One of the lumps on the bench began to uncurl and disengaged itself from the rest. You see a darkskinned man with long sideburns and "feline" features. His cheekbones are high, he has almond shaped eyes with green irises. As his head slumps forward you catch a glimpse of pointed ears, but his hair is so long that it quickly obscures his face entirely as hid head slumps forward.

On hands and knees he crawls his way toward the privy hole. When he arrives you hear the unpleasant evidence of his previous day's endeavors.

*HURK* --- *BLARG!!*

After a few minutes of these ministrations he becomes quiet again and lays down (still next to the privy).

"Ah the floor is so cool"

Soon you can hear him faintly snoring as he fades into oblivion once more.

----

avatar
Grundle

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  Vertz on Thu May 20, 2010 12:55 pm

A bald goliath in hides sits unmoving in a slouching posture alone, perhaps due to his imposing size or the fact that the bench sags beneath his great weight, looking like that of an adult sitting on something designed for halfling children. Cuts and gashes, now scabbed over from a battle some days ago, cover his brown and gray mottled skin. He stares blankly out on some undiscernible location lost in his own thoughts acknowledging nothing, his hands clasped together over his stomach.
avatar
Vertz

Posts : 25
Join date : 2010-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  EOrr on Fri May 21, 2010 11:40 am

A pale, raven haired woman dressed in dark robes is escorted into the cell. Her face is thin and appears to have not been touched by the sun in quite some time. She looks around the cell at the riffraff within and takes notice of one, a human male, which had passed recently. She moves towards the corpse and turns him face up. Whispering a few words over his body, she lays a square of cloth over his face. When her ritual is complete she finds an empty spot on the bench to sit.
avatar
EOrr

Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  mwigdahl on Fri May 21, 2010 11:10 pm

The bestial-looking man that passed out next to the privy just rests there for a moment, enjoying the feel of the cold stone. But there's an odd scratching, chittering noise that disturbs him. He looks blearily around and as his eyes focus he notices a large black sewer rat poking its head out of the privy and wiggling its whiskers at him.


Last edited by mwigdahl on Fri May 21, 2010 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Go Go Goliath

Post  mwigdahl on Fri May 21, 2010 11:18 pm

The goliath apparently poses a challenge for the dagger-wielding woman. Or maybe she just likes the strong, silent type. She sidles closer, idly fidgeting with her dagger in a dexterous and hypnotic manner.

"I wasn't aware there were any Goliath tribes nearby... I was given to understand your kind lived up near the Spine of the World, wrestling dragons and slaying giants," she says, playfully.
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mistaken Identity

Post  mwigdahl on Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 pm

One of the drunks on the bench sees the black-haired priestess covering the eyes of the dead man and jumps straight to the wrong conclusion.

"Hey! Didj- Didja see't? Wha' she did? She killed 'im! What the bl- bloody hell? If ya ain't safe 'n jail, whass the worl' co- comin' ta?"

He sets his arms and legs into a poorly coordinated flailing, trying to scoot himself away from her, but only really accomplishing knocking two of his fellow drunks off the bench. They protest loudly.

"Lay off, willya? Aah, my fookin' 'ead!"

"It's 'er!" the first drunk screams, pointing at the woman. "She's 'ere to kill us all!"

This agitates the drunks, although as many seem irritated at his loud yelling as at his claims about the priestess. The other occupants of the cells seem content to ignore the drunks, but more than a few eyes are now surreptitiously watching the priestess.


Last edited by mwigdahl on Fri May 21, 2010 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Zenna to the... Rescue?

Post  mwigdahl on Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Zenna shakes her head in irritation as the drunks start their commotion. She walks over to where the first drunk is still raving and gets right up in his face.

"Hey! That guy was already dead -- he hadn't moved a muscle for twenty minutes. All she did was give him some sort of last rites."

Rather than calming the man, the sight of Zenna disturbs him even more. "Aaah! A witch! She's got a demon! A dragon! A demon dragon thing!"

Zenna considers asking Merliax, her dragonling familiar, to hide, but then decides she has a better idea.

"Yes, and if you don't shut up and quit yelling, I'll have him eat you!" Merliax punctuates the threat by swooping around threateningly.

Good boy, she thinks in approval.

The effect is immediate -- he quiets down -- but the glance of hate and fear he throws her way makes her wonder if she might have handled the situation a bit better.

Zenna considers for a moment, then wends her way over to the priestess.

"Looks like we have something in common," she starts. "Neither of us are going to get a date with that fine specimen over there." She indicates the cowed and glaring drunk.

"Our loss, I suppose. My name's Zenna." She smiles and offers her hand to the dark-haired woman.
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  Vertz on Sun May 23, 2010 12:08 am

The goliath's eyes swing to look in the general direction of the woman though they do not focus on her, he being comfortable and satisfied with a peripheral glance. He hadn't had any experience with the small folk prior to his arrival in town. Only that of what his parents and elders had told him back at the mountain hold prior to its falling and his flight. So far, his time in town did little to develop a positive impression. Still he knew it was customary in almost all cultures to respond when addressed, "Then you have had a misunderstanding." The tone in his voice was not sarcastic, nor was it sharp and biting. It was placid, an almost somber sounding statement that lacked the conviction to be any thing more than unoffensive.
avatar
Vertz

Posts : 25
Join date : 2010-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  Grundle on Sun May 23, 2010 8:04 pm

As the man's eyes on the floor began to come into focus he finally figured out what he was staring out. Embarrassed he blurted out the first thing that came to his mind,

"Oh hello cousin..."

The silence stretched into awkwardness with the rat registering no visible response. The shifter coughed in embarrassment *cough*

"Err, maybe you could tell me where I am, I can't seem to remember anything after a group of men holding me down..."

The rat chittered at him and then dropped back down into the hole. Scratching the back of his head confused the shifter sat up and looked around the room. Noticing some people were already in low conversation, others were passed out on the bench. Addressing no one in particular he said lamely to the room, "Hello all!"
avatar
Grundle

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  EOrr on Mon May 24, 2010 10:56 am

"Our loss indeed."

The woman eyes the cowering drunk coldly. "Boo!" she shouts at him, throwing her hands towards him sending him into a fit again.

"Well met, I'm Nessa." she introduced herself, offering her hand. "What brings you to such a desirable locale, Zenna?"

For the time being Nessa chooses to ignore the drunk attempting to address the room. She's had her fill of the antics of drunken men, or creatures, for the time being.
avatar
EOrr

Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Parry and Riposte

Post  mwigdahl on Tue May 25, 2010 7:56 am

The woman smiles a bit at the goliath's brusque reply. "And was I also misunderstanding when I was told of your kind's love of a challenge?" She watches him closely to see how he reacts.
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rejoining the World

Post  mwigdahl on Tue May 25, 2010 8:01 am

As the shifter regains awareness of the room he notes the occupants, seemingly equally distributed between drunks and hardcases. He debates which category to place himself into. But it certainly is a more interesting crew than he's used to seeing. He spends a bit of time surveying his dozen-and-a-half fellow inmates, but is interrupted when his sharp ears detect a noise coming from the privy -- a noise that's distinctly not coming from a rat.
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Zenna's Tale

Post  mwigdahl on Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 am

"Pleased to meet you, Nessa." Zenna completes the introduction.

"What brings me here is ill luck, it seems. I had heard great things about the opportunities for education and magical training at the bardic college in Silverymoon, and how humans and elves lived side-by-side in peace. So I left my family and friends in Aglarond and headed here, only to find when I got here that Silverymoon is locked away behind their own uncontrolled city wards, and no one can get in or out."

"So I'm trying to make ends meet as an entertainer and musician." She flips her hair. "I'm not without talent. But coin sticks to the hand tightly in Everlund these days, it seems, and I can pry little of it loose."

She focuses on the dark-haired woman and studies her curiously.

"And you?"
avatar
mwigdahl

Posts : 48
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  Grundle on Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

mwigdahl wrote:As the shifter regains awareness of the room he notes the occupants, seemingly equally distributed between drunks and hardcases. He debates which category to place himself into. But it certainly is a more interesting crew than he's used to seeing. He spends a bit of time surveying his dozen-and-a-half fellow inmates, but is interrupted when his sharp ears detect a noise coming from the privy -- a noise that's distinctly not coming from a rat.

Thinking to himself, "That doesn't sound good" the shifter scrambled to his feet and carefully peered into the dark hole, while straining his ears and sniffing the air.

Perception Roll: 1d20 + 12 - 2 (-2 for Hangover Very Happy )
OOC: I am thinking that we can make good use of PM's to communicate something that a character notices and then would have to communicate to the group. Much like a real scenario. It would be kind of contrived if everyone hears and etherial voice describing what only one character might notice...

Also let me know if I need to make any additional roles such as Dungeoneering etc.


-----



Last edited by Grundle on Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
avatar
Grundle

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  DM_Vertz on Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

The member 'Grundle' has done the following action : Roll Dice

'D20' : 19
avatar
DM_Vertz
Admin

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-05-07

View user profile http://loafr4e.forumn.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  DM_Vertz on Tue May 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Grundle wrote:Perception Roll: 1d20 + 12 - 2 (-2 for Hangover Very Happy )
OOC: I am thinking that we can make good use of PM's to communicate something that a character notices and then would have to communicate to the group. Much like a real scenario. It would be kind of contrived if everyone hears and etherial voice describing what only one character might notice...

Also let me know if I need to make any additional roles such as Dungeoneering etc.

That's a good idea if everyone is up for checking PMs. Do they show up in a way that makes it obvious you have one waiting?
avatar
DM_Vertz
Admin

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-05-07

View user profile http://loafr4e.forumn.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  DM_Vertz on Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Grundle wrote:Also let me know if I need to make any additional roles such as Dungeoneering etc.

Please do make a Dungeoneering roll.
avatar
DM_Vertz
Admin

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-05-07

View user profile http://loafr4e.forumn.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  Grundle on Tue May 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 5 (not sure if hangover would apply to dungeon knowledge).
avatar
Grundle

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  DM_Vertz on Tue May 25, 2010 1:24 pm

The member 'Grundle' has done the following action : Roll Dice

'D20' : 2
avatar
DM_Vertz
Admin

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-05-07

View user profile http://loafr4e.forumn.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Openings and Introductions - Alpha Run

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum